December 2023 Holiday Camp
Have some fun learning learning the basics of Unity platform. Unity is one of the most widely used platform for game development.
Some of the most famous games developed on Unity includes Assassin’s Creed and Temple Run.
On the first day, students will be introduced to the basics of Unity and its interface and students will be guided through the process of creating a 3D Unity game project. We will kickstart the camp with an introduction and then move on to developing the player character and setting up its movement controls using Unity’s built-in physics system. After that, we will create the basic level layout and prepare it for further design.
- Creating projects on Unity
- Introduction to Unity Interface
- Creating the game-level
- Introduction to player inputs and player movements
- Creation of 3D level assets
- Introduction to basic visual design and effects
The second day of the camp would focus on designing and implementing more systems for the game and diving deeper into the game mechanics. We will develop a system for the game to introduce enemy entities that will provide a challenge to the players. The students will also be actively involved in designing and testing their level for a fun experience. Additionally, we will be enhancing the aesthetics of the game by decorating the level and introducing particle effects.
- Introduction to vectors and rotation
- Introduction to colliders and triggers
- Implementation of core game mechanics
- Developing enemy behaviours
- Level design and balancing
- Introduction to scene management features
On the third day, we will focus on polish and refinement. This includes sound effects and music to our game to create a more immersive experience. We will improve the game’s visuals, including extra gameplay elements and improving the level design. Students will also be playtesting their classmates’ games with the learning objective of incorporating constructive feedback on UI (User Interface) and UX (User Experience). This teaches students to be user-centric so they will have experience in developing games/programs that provide positive experiences for their end-users.
- Introduction to UI elements
- Introduction to basic game menus and settings
- Implementation of post-processing
- Playtesting and refinement of game